Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Estimated Operator Cost

Author  Topic 

ferrethouse
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-24 : 13:27:25
I've included a query plan below. In it you will see several "Index Scans" on indexes for table "Lessons" and "Classes". These indexes show a cost of 0%. You will also see a "Index Seek" on an index for table "Subscription" that shows a 7% cost.

If you mouse over the index scans you see that they have I/O and CPU costs that are orders of magnitudes higher than for the index seek. If both the I/O and CPU costs are massively higher for the scans then why do they have a cost of 0% while the seek has a cost of 7%?

I'm actually trying to get rid of these nonclustered index scans but I'm having trouble determining the index that it wants to use (I've included the query). It seems like it should be using the clustered index.

Plan...

WON'T LET ME POST THE PLAN - PROBABLY TOO LONG

Query...

SELECT [t0].[StudentsID] AS [ID], CONVERT(NVarChar,[t0].[StudentsID]) AS [IDString], [t0].[FirstName], [t0].[LastName], [t0].[MiddleName], [t0].[Username], [t0].[DepartmentID], [t1].[DepartmentName], [t0].[Location], [t0].[EmployeeNum], [t0].[Email], [t0].[Password], [t0].[Address], [t0].[City], [t0].[Province], [t0].[PostalCode], [t0].[Country], [t0].[PhoneNumber], [t0].[EmployeeSince], [t0].[LastLoggedIn], [t0].[DateAdded], [t0].[DateEdited], (
SELECT [t3].[AcceptedTermsDate]
FROM (
SELECT TOP (1) [t2].[AcceptedTermsDate]
FROM [dbo].[Subscription] AS [t2]
WHERE ([t2].[CourseID] = @p3) AND ([t2].[LessonID] = @p4) AND ([t2].[StudentsID] = [t0].[StudentsID])
) AS [t3]
) AS [AcceptedTerms], (
SELECT [t5].[StartDate]
FROM (
SELECT TOP (1) [t4].[StartDate]
FROM [dbo].[Subscription] AS [t4]
WHERE ([t4].[CourseID] = @p5) AND ([t4].[LessonID] = @p6) AND ([t4].[StudentsID] = [t0].[StudentsID])
) AS [t5]
) AS [DateSubscribed], (
SELECT [t7].[PostponeEnrollDate]
FROM (
SELECT TOP (1) [t6].[PostponeEnrollDate]
FROM [dbo].[PostponeSubscription] AS [t6]
WHERE ([t6].[CourseID] = @p7) AND ([t6].[LessonID] = @p8) AND ([t6].[StudentsID] = [t0].[StudentsID])
) AS [t7]
) AS [DateDelaySubscribed], ((((((((((((((((((@p9 + (
(CASE
WHEN (EXISTS(
SELECT NULL AS [EMPTY]
FROM [dbo].[Subscription] AS [t8]
WHERE ([t8].[CourseID] = @p10) AND ([t8].[LessonID] = @p11) AND ([t8].[StudentsID] = [t0].[StudentsID])
)) OR (EXISTS(
SELECT NULL AS [EMPTY]
FROM [dbo].[PostponeSubscription] AS [t9]
WHERE ([t9].[CourseID] = @p12) AND ([t9].[LessonID] = @p13) AND ([t9].[StudentsID] = [t0].[StudentsID])
)) THEN CONVERT(NVarChar(9),@p14)
ELSE @p15
END))) + @p16) + (CONVERT(NVarChar,[t0].[StudentsID]))) + @p17) + (CONVERT(NVarChar,[t0].[StudentsID]))) + @p18) + (CONVERT(NVarChar,[t0].[StudentsID]))) + @p19) + @p20) + (CONVERT(NVarChar,[t0].[StudentsID]))) + @p21) + (
(CASE
WHEN (EXISTS(
SELECT NULL AS [EMPTY]
FROM [dbo].[Subscription] AS [t10]
WHERE ([t10].[CourseID] = @p22) AND ([t10].[LessonID] = @p23) AND ([t10].[StudentsID] = [t0].[StudentsID])
)) OR (EXISTS(
SELECT NULL AS [EMPTY]
FROM [dbo].[PostponeSubscription] AS [t11]
WHERE ([t11].[CourseID] = @p24) AND ([t11].[LessonID] = @p25) AND ([t11].[StudentsID] = [t0].[StudentsID])
)) THEN CONVERT(NVarChar,[t0].[StudentsID])
ELSE CONVERT(NVarChar(MAX),@p26)
END))) + @p27) + @p28) + (CONVERT(NVarChar,[t0].[StudentsID]))) + @p29) + (CONVERT(NVarChar,[t0].[StudentsID]))) + @p30) + (
(CASE
WHEN EXISTS(
SELECT NULL AS [EMPTY]
FROM [dbo].[PostponeSubscription] AS [t12]
WHERE ([t12].[CourseID] = @p31) AND ([t12].[LessonID] = @p32) AND ([t12].[StudentsID] = [t0].[StudentsID])
) THEN (@p33 + (CONVERT(NVarChar(MAX),(
SELECT [t14].[PostponeEnrollDate]
FROM (
SELECT TOP (1) [t13].[PostponeEnrollDate]
FROM [dbo].[PostponeSubscription] AS [t13]
WHERE ([t13].[CourseID] = @p34) AND ([t13].[LessonID] = @p35) AND ([t13].[StudentsID] = [t0].[StudentsID])
) AS [t14]
)))) + @p36
ELSE CONVERT(NVarChar(MAX),@p37)
END)) AS [Enrolled],
(CASE
WHEN EXISTS(
SELECT NULL AS [EMPTY]
FROM [dbo].[Subscription] AS [t15]
WHERE ([t15].[CourseID] = @p38) AND ([t15].[LessonID] = @p39) AND ([t15].[StudentsID] = [t0].[StudentsID])
) THEN 1
ELSE 0
END) AS [EnrolledValue], ((
SELECT [t19].[StatusDesc]
FROM (
SELECT TOP (1) [t16].[StatusDesc]
FROM [dbo].

- Advertisement -