Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Recovery Model

Author  Topic 

poratips
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-03 : 16:19:47
Hi,
My client having Full backup every night but it's set up FULL Recovery model, I have a question that if they are taking back up every night and looks like they will b ok with this but is it any benefits having Recovery Model leaving as default as FULL instead of SIMPLE as they don't have any Differential or T-Log back up?
I am just wondering if they are not using any Differential or T-Log back up and only taking daily Full Backup then it should be advisible set up Recovery Model as Simple instead of default?

Thanks

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-03 : 16:25:46
If not taking tran log backups, should definitely switch it to simple. Else, eventually, the log will grow out of control.
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-03 : 16:46:03
To add to what russell said, another consideration is that if they are using database mirroring, it requires full recovery model.

Another problem that I have run into, which you are unlikely to, is that if your transaction log backup job is set up to take log backups of all user databases and if some of those are in simple recovery model, the job will fail - because tran log back up is not a supported operation in simple recovery model.
Go to Top of Page

poratips
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-03 : 17:16:48
Thanks both of you Russell and James.
We are not taking T-Log or even Diff Backup.
If we use Snapshot then it will affect if w switch to SIMPLE>
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-03 : 18:26:38
quote:
Originally posted by poratips

Thanks both of you Russell and James.
We are not taking T-Log or even Diff Backup.
If we use Snapshot then it will affect if w switch to SIMPLE>

Any recovery model including SIMPLE will work.
Go to Top of Page

poratips
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-04 : 23:49:03
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -