Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 First Time Connecting To An Online Database

Author  Topic 

Learn2010
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-20 : 09:38:06
Here is everything I know. I work where we have a very large secure network. I can log onto a teammate's computer with my login credentials, open SQL Server 2012 Management Studio, enter #############.us into the filed for the database engine, select SQL Server Authentication, enter the login ID, enter the password, and log onto the database.

I try this on my computer and it doesn't work. It errors out. I have searched the internet, along with some IT people, for solutions using the error messages, and to no avail.

I know there is more to logging into a new SQL database if you haven't connected to it before, especially with the database engine name that I am using. Can you guys offer some suggestions as to what I need to know or do?

Thank you.

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-20 : 11:04:42
quote:
Originally posted by Learn2010

Here is everything I know. I work where we have a very large secure network. I can log onto a teammate's computer with my login credentials, open SQL Server 2012 Management Studio, enter #############.us into the filed for the database engine, select SQL Server Authentication, enter the login ID, enter the password, and log onto the database.

I try this on my computer and it doesn't work. It errors out. I have searched the internet, along with some IT people, for solutions using the error messages, and to no avail.

I know there is more to logging into a new SQL database if you haven't connected to it before, especially with the database engine name that I am using. Can you guys offer some suggestions as to what I need to know or do?

Thank you.

That sounds like the firewall on the server side is set up to let only specific IP addresses to connect to it. That is not an uncommon set up; so you might want to ask the network support (on the server side). They should be able to watch the traffic coming into them and tell you whether you are knocking on their door and they are turning you away.
Go to Top of Page

Learn2010
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-20 : 11:15:41
I will try that. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Learn2010
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-21 : 10:28:40
It didn't work.
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-21 : 10:34:03
quote:
Originally posted by Learn2010

It didn't work.

What did the server side networking people tell you? Are they seeing your requests coming through at all?
Go to Top of Page

Learn2010
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-21 : 14:45:19
I was told to uninstall sql and try again. So, I posted another question but you may be able to answer it here. What should I download to be able to connect to a web based sql database? Should I use SQL Server 2012 Management Studio Express, SQL Server 2012 Express, Or ...?
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-21 : 14:57:10
Not quite sure what you meant by "web-based database" Do you have an Azure database? If so can connect to it using SSMS http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/net/common-tasks/sql-azure-management/
If it is a database that is at a remote location then, again, you can connect using SSMS.

Are you able to connect to any servers within your domain from your computer?

Assuming you have a good installation of SSMS, and if your colleague is able to connect, then that means your connection is getting blocked somewhere along the way, but his is not. It may be at your end, but if you are able to connect to the outside world, that may not be the case. The other possibility is that the remote location may have opened their ports to only specific IP addresses. If that is the case, then they will need to open them up for you as well.
Go to Top of Page

Learn2010
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-21 : 21:23:37
We have a SQL database that is hosted on the web by a .Net company. Another company developed it for us. I also used telnet to try and connect to it and another database and both failed.
Go to Top of Page

Learn2010
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-25 : 06:59:44
I finally got a support person that was able to figure out that something was hijacking my connection. I searched through my programs and found one name Sendori. I read up on it and found that it was malware and that is what it does, hijacks your connections. I deleted it and the problem was solved.

Thanks for all your help.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -