Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Hierarchy Select in a subquery

Author  Topic 

deadtrees
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-09 : 17:28:06
I've painted myself into an SQL corner and need some help. My dilemma is this. I have database where I store the results when compare fingerprint impressions to subjects. I store the results in a junction table EvidenceSubjects. I want to generate a report that shows my Evaluations, but I want to do this in a hierarchy/prioritized way.

For instance, when the evaluation = 1, I only want that that result to show, nothing else and I want to append some text and the name of the person..I can do that. However that's all I can do. When there's more than 1 evaluation I need the select statement to be smart enough to prioritize

Evaluation values: 1 = Identification, 2=exclusion, 3 = inconclusive, 4 = incomplete

The priority is this:

When an impression (evidenceID) has an evaluation =1 and anything else only show the identification info to the person

When an impression has an associated evaluation = 4 but not 1 append the text 'Outstanding issue'

When an impression has an associated evaluation = 2 or 3, but not 1 or 4 display the text 'No'

When an impression has a null association display the text 'No'

Notes: The caseID is static in my example so I can test my code. If I don't hard code my Evaluation =1 in my subquery I get multiple results so that's why it's there.

Here's my code

SELECT '['+ISNULL(Upper(I.ItemNumber),'QA') +'] ['+Upper(ISNULL(I."Lab Number",'QA') +' '+ ISNULL(I.LatentLetter,'  '))+'] - '+ISNULL(Upper(I.ItemSource),'QA') AS "[ITEM#] [LAB#] - DESCRIPTION"
,Upper(Case
WHEN I.ItemDescriptions = 1 THEN 'Latent Lift'
WHEN I.ItemDescriptions = 2 THEN 'Film Negative'
WHEN I.ItemDescriptions = 3 THEN 'Digital Image'
WHEN I.ItemDescriptions = 1 THEN 'Other'
End) as [TYPE]
,Upper(Case
WHEN I.LatentAnalysis = 1 THEN 'NO Value'
WHEN I.LatentAnalysis In (2,3) AND I.Finger =1 THEN 'Finger'
WHEN I.LatentAnalysis In (2,3) AND I.Palm = 1 Then 'Palm'
WHEN I.LatentAnalysis In (2,3) AND I.Impression = 1 Then 'Unsourced'
Else 'QA'
End) as [ANALYSIS]
,UPPER(Case
WHEN I.LatentAnalysis = 2 AND I.AFISRun = 1 THEN 'AFIS Quality - AFIS Searched'
WHEN I.LatentAnalysis = 2 AND I.AFISRun IS null THEN 'AFIS Quality - NO AFIS SEARCH'
WHEN I.LatentAnalysis = 2 AND I.AFISRun IS null AND I.AdCaptOf = 1 THEN 'SEE Glossary - NO AFIS SEARCH'
Else 'NOT AFIS Quality - No AFIS SEARCH'
End) AS [AFIS INFO]
,ISNULL((SELECT (CASE E2.Evaluation
WHEN 1
THEN 'IND'
END) + ' to ' + ISNULL(CASE E2.IndTo
WHEN 1
THEN 'R. Thumb of '
WHEN 2
THEN 'R. Index of '
WHEN 3
THEN 'R. Middle of '
WHEN 4
THEN 'R. Ring of '
WHEN 5
THEN 'R. Little of '
WHEN 6
THEN 'L. Thumb of '
WHEN 7
THEN 'L. Index of '
WHEN 8
THEN 'L. Middle of '
WHEN 9
THEN 'L. Ring of '
WHEN 10
THEN 'L. Little of '
WHEN 12
THEN 'L. Palm of '
WHEN 13
THEN 'R. Palm of '
WHEN 14
THEN 'L. Foot of '
WHEN 15
THEN 'R. Foot of '
END ,'') + '' + Upper(S.SubjectLastName +', '+S.SubjectFirstName + CHAR(10))
FROM LIMS_DATA_Production.dbo.EvidenceSubjects E2
INNER
JOIN LIMS_DATA_Production.dbo.Subjects S
ON E2.SubjectID = S.ID
WHERE E2.Evaluation = 1 AND S.CaseID = I.CaseID AND S.SDelete = 0 AND E1.EvidenceID = E2.EvidenceID),'NO') AS [INDIVIDUALIZATIONS]
FROM LIMS_DATA_Production.dbo.EvidenceSubjects E1
RIGHT
JOIN LIMS_DATA_Production.dbo.Impressions I
ON E1.EvidenceID = I.ID
Where I.CaseID = 18247 and I.SDelete = 0
GROUP BY I.ItemNumber,I.AFISRun,I.CaseID, I.AdCaptOf,I.ItemDescriptions, E1.EvidenceID, I."Lab Number", I.LatentLetter, I.ItemSource,I.Finger, I.Palm, I.Impression, I.LatentAnalysis
Order by [Lab Number]

Thanks in advance.

Mar
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-16 : 08:37:36
It is not clear what you are trying to do. You have many things you are trying to do which require a thorough explanation. Remember you understand your problem very well. No one else knows what you are trying to do, nor what your database looks like nor what the expected results are.

Did you try UNION?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -