Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 what role does quotes serve?

Author  Topic 

AdamWest
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

360 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-11 : 14:01:32
This is what the crystal reports makes, when you enter the tables and link. I also have some sql that i pasted there without the quotes. THey both run. Only isssue I have is
that my sql which is a view does not update on demand from the server. IOW, they enter a new row. and it's not immediatlyin the crystal report. I asked the user if he can logout and back in and he says that he doesn't have to do that with other crystal reports.

SELECT "OEIND94"."IDDOCD" AS INV_DATE,
"OEIND94"."IDORD#" AS ORD_NUM,
"OEIND94"."IDORDT" AS ORD_TYPE,
"OEIND94"."IDPRLC" AS PROD_FAMILY,
"OEIND94"."IDPR$C" AS PRICE_CODE,
"OEIND94"."IDCOM#",

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-11 : 14:47:34
you have two unrelated questions here:

"quotes" - they can be used in place of brackets [] to surround object names. In this case table identifiers and column identifiers.
But to use quotes you need to insure that SET QUOTED IDENTIFIER is ON. I always just use the square brackets.

"view does not update on demand from the server" -
A view is simply a compiled SELECT statement so by definition it represents the data in the underlying tables. If there is some latency between the updates and the report output then it sounds like the updates may either be on another server which is then log shipped or replicated to the reporting server, or there are rollup jobs that move data from commit-to tables to reporting tables. Something like that.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -