Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Cannot resolve the collation conflict

Author  Topic 

deanglen
Yak Posting Veteran

65 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-12 : 14:16:03
Hi

I've just run a database upgrade script from one version of a CMS to another, its created some new tables and one of the tables did not execute correctly when the script was being run.

I am now getting this error on the site

http://109.108.155.82/

The Script Query ran as

Updating GlobalConfig Table...
Updating Stored Procedures...
Updating Store Version...
Updating AppConfig Settings...
ContactEmail topic exists already
Creating Default Store Record...
Updating Mobile Devices...
Updating Global Configs...
Updating Topics Table to work with Duplicate Topic Names and Delete Name Constraint
Populating Stores Table...
Creating MultiShipOrder_Shipment table for Avalara to work with Multiship functionality ...
Msg 468, Level 16, State 9, Procedure MappedObjects, Line 10
Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Latin1_General_CI_AS" and "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" in the equal to operation.
Msg 451, Level 16, State 1, Procedure ObjectView, Line 4
Cannot resolve collation conflict for column 3 in SELECT statement.
Msg 451, Level 16, State 1, Procedure ObjectView, Line 4
Cannot resolve collation conflict for column 4 in SELECT statement.
Migrating coupons...
Updating Topic Table...
Updating Store Version...

I have looked at the collation name in the newly created table and all have a NULL value.

Any pointers into what happened and how I can fix this?

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-12 : 14:33:52
I am writing this from work, and I don't want to click on an unknown link. So I am writing this without the benefit of knowing what you have on that link.

If it is a vendor database, you should ask them why this happens. The underlying cause, no matter how they got to that point, is that in some query, they have a WHERE clause (or some other construct) where they are comparing data in one character type column to data in another character type column, and these two columns do not have the same collation. If you have access to the code, you can force the collations to one or the other. But, that is not something you want to do with a vendor code.

So then the question is why did this collision happen. It can be because the default collation of your database is different from what the vendor was expecting. Or any number of other reasons. They would have to tell you that.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -