Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Parameter query for unmatched records

Author  Topic 

wsilage
Yak Posting Veteran

82 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-15 : 07:37:59
I have to build a query and I am not sure how to build it.

Our data has providers with different products. We have an “DGH” product and a “PRM”. I need to find the provider that don’t have both. Its sounds very simple, but I am having an awful time figuring it out. Sometimes I get a record that has both products, it is probably how my where clause is working.
Anyway, here is an example of what I don’t want in my records because this is good. It has a DGH and PRM.
pro_pcs pro_lname pro_fname prop_prd pro_tax1 pro_addr100018791 Smith John DGH 12345868 Kiem ST
00018791 Smith John PRM 12345868 Keim ST

I would want to see this one because there only a DGH and it need to have a PRM product.

pro_pcs pro_lname pro_fname prop_prd pro_tax1 pro_addr1
00018791 Rubin Sam DGH 2345868 Kiem ST

I came up with this below and it seems to be working. The only thing is, I now have to make this so people can add a parameter on the pro_tax1 to see the different records. Is there a better way to do this or how can I use what I have below and add a parameter too it.

Select pro_pcs, pro_lname, pro_fname, pro_addr1
from #ALLProducts
Where pro_tax1 = '12345868'
and prop_prd = 'DGH'

except

Select pro_pcs, pro_lname, pro_fname, pro_addr1
from #ALLProducts
Where pro_tax1 = '12345868'and prop_prd = 'PRM'

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-15 : 07:44:57
Don't you also want to see those who do have PRM, but don't have DGH? If so, one way to write the query would be as follows. I have not added the where clause; if you need that, easy enough to add:
SELECT
pro_pcs, pro_lname, pro_fname, pro_addr1
FROM
#ALLProducts
GROUP BY
pro_pcs, pro_lname, pro_fname, pro_addr1
HAVING
COUNT(DISTINCT prop_prd) < 2;
Go to Top of Page

wsilage
Yak Posting Veteran

82 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-15 : 08:17:44
Thanks, no we don't need to know who has PRM and not DGH. PRM is the newer product and in our system we already have ones that have DGH in them.
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-15 : 08:28:09
quote:
Originally posted by wsilage

Thanks, no we don't need to know who has PRM and not DGH. PRM is the newer product and in our system we already have ones that have DGH in them.

If there are none who has PRM and not DGH, the query I posted would still work correctly.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -