Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Excel to SQL

Author  Topic 

nevzab
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-17 : 18:06:41
Hi,

I am using the import wizard in SQL Server 2008 R to import data from an Excel spreadsheet into a table I have created.

The spreadsheet contains 3 columns that SQL recognises as DOUBLE and they contain a 1 or 0. What data type do the corresponding fields in SQL table need to be? I have tried BIT, INT and FLOAT but keep getting an error (can't view details of the error because I get chucked out every time the error pops up). I know the problem is with the DOUBLE data because when I 'ignore' those columns the import works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-17 : 18:48:26
It may be that there are characters in the spreadsheet that cannot be converted to any of those. As a test, set the SQL data type to VARCHAR(32) (or something similar) and import into a table that also has VARCHAR(32) columns.

Once you have imported successfully into that table, take a look at the data:
SELECT * FROM YourTestTable WHERE ISNUMERIC(YourCharacterColum) = 0
Go to Top of Page

nevzab
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-17 : 19:12:30
Sorry to mislead you James...it wasn't what I thought!! I switched the 'truncation error' to 'ignore' and it imported successfully. I then 'ignored' the 'Name' column which a SQL data type of varchar(max) and it imported successfully.

Now I am curious at to what the problem was!! I did =len(namecolumn) in the Excel spreadsheet and the length was never greater than 100.

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -