Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 CommVault

Author  Topic 

nelsont
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-24 : 18:30:05
I've inherited a database that is using CommVault for backups. It is completely integrated with SQL 2008 r2. In fact I had no idea it was installed until the sys admin pointed out that there were 60 instances of sqlbackup.exe in Windows task manager. When I looked at the properties they all pointed back to the Commvault software rather than SQL itself.

It looks like there is supposed to be some kind of gui that comes with this software, but all I can find is a little program that lets you start / stop the Commvault service.

Is anyone familiar with Commvault? Is the 60 instances of sqlbackup.exe something that may have been configured to run on purpose?

Any info would be appreciated.

--New info
This is on our production environment and I've been told it may be our host who is running this. This may not be integrated with SQL at all, and may be a secondary backup system that they use along with the backups that I have scheduled through SQL.

- Advertisement -