Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Database backup file size smaller then restore req

Author  Topic 

shadychima
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-31 : 04:14:47
Hi,

I have schedule Backup of database. Today, its restore to another server failed due to insufficient size. However, when I looked at .bak file size, it was much smaller then the disk space available.

Database .bak file size=94GB, Server Disk available=145 GB
Still, while restore it throws error of insufficient disk space.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-31 : 06:01:40
Because the backup is smaller than the database, try looking at the size of the data and log files within the backup instead if you are really restoring it.
Go to Top of Page

srimami
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-08 : 04:59:50
Did you use compress back up? If that is the case, it is expected to fail as the data size may be more than 145GB that is available. Also like Rick said, please check the data and log size of the database.

Thanks,
Sri
Go to Top of Page

djj55
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-08 : 10:39:05
I have had times when restore did not work even though the available size was bigger than the database. I do not know how much but there is extra space needed.

djj
Go to Top of Page

srimami
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-08 : 20:00:39
There is no rule defined for how much size is needed to restore. Like I said in the above post, please check for data and log files or in other words check the size of DB before backing up and ensure you have the same size available while restoring it.

Thanks,
Sri.
Go to Top of Page

MuMu88
Aged Yak Warrior

549 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-08 : 21:00:32
quote:
Originally posted by shadychima

Hi,

I have schedule Backup of database. Today, its restore to another server failed due to insufficient size. However, when I looked at .bak file size, it was much smaller then the disk space available.

Database .bak file size=94GB, Server Disk available=145 GB
Still, while restore it throws error of insufficient disk space.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

In your object browser right mouse click on the database you just backed up, select properties, select General, look at the Size of the database;
That is how much space you need on your target machine if you need to restore that database.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -