Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 what next?

Author  Topic 

alfredpichikaki
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-31 : 12:09:58
hello guys am new to sql and i have finished sql from w3schools.com. what should i learn next in sql.Is that enough what i learned in w3schools to get into a job? please educate me in this sql issue. Thankyou

gbk

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-31 : 12:39:34
I don't know if you will or will not be able to get a job with just w3schools, but you should by no means stop there. There are a number of other things you can/should do to sharpen what you already know, and improve the breadth and depth. For example:

1. Hang around SQLTeam and see if you can answer some of the questions. Even if you don't post your answers intially, see if you are able to solve those problems on your own. Then observe how others who responded solved those problems.

2. Get couple of books and study them. The ones I would particularly recommend for T-SQL are Itizik Ben-Gan's books. He has one on SQL 2012 fundamentals, and two on SQL 2008 (SQL 2008 Programming and SQL 2008 Querying). If you can master those three books, you will literally be able to dazzle interviewers when you look for jobs.

3. There is a lot more to SQL Server than T-SQL programming. SSRS, SSIS, SSAS (or pick your favorite two alphabets and append them to SS, and there is sure to be a product in the SQL stack that will match that) etc. Also, get some expertise on basic DBA type of work. Backup and restore, Query tuning and optimization etc.

4. Try to learn the internals of SQL Server. Not essential, but it comes in handy in various ways that you may not even imagine right now.

5. Practise! Practise!! Practise!!! There is a book by Malcolm Gladwell - Outliers - where he advances the hypothesis that to be really good at something, it takes 10,000 hours of practice. I think that is true with SQL. It may not be 10,000 hours, and it may not be the same for everyone, but the more you practise, the better you get at it, and once you get to that stage, you will look forward to going to interviews because you will know that you can answer anything that they throw at you.

Sorry about the long diatribe/pedagogical discourse. I was eating lunch and typing simultaneously, so just got carried away :)
Go to Top of Page

alfredpichikaki
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-31 : 12:45:33
heheh thanks very much for ur valuable info james. will find those above mentioned books. thanks again.

gbk
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-31 : 12:54:21
Oh, and don't forget to read some good blogs such as this one here: http://myshallowsqlblog.wordpress.com/

Not in the same league as that, but even these may be useful: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb671052.aspx If you look through the list of bloggers there, there isn't one that I can point to and say that that is shallow and useless. Each of them is brilliant and useful, albeit in different ways. In particular, I would recommend Kimberly Tripp's blog and Paul Randal's blog.
Go to Top of Page

Lamprey

4614 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-31 : 15:43:08
The first thing you should do is read and UNDERSTAND An Introduction to Database Systems by C.J. Date
Go to Top of Page

alfredpichikaki
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-01 : 05:29:46
thankyou lamprey.

gbk
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -