Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Upgrade form Sql2008 Standard to Enterprise

Author  Topic 

poratips
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-05 : 17:01:04
Hello,
We have currently build new Server 2008R2 with 8 core CPU with 32 GB Memory and currently working to get license for sql server 2008R2 Enterprise edition.
We have currently sql 2005 standard and planning to migrate to new server as mentioned above.

1) If I upgrade 1st using sql standard edition and later upgrade to Enterprise with using 8 core CPU with 32 GB Memory will be ok?

Can we upgrade form Sql2008 Standard to Enterprise Edition?
Let say we have sql 2008/sql 2008R2 already running and I would like to upgrade to sql 2008/sql 2008R2 Enterprise Edition.
Is it just upgrade instance wizard I have to follow?
Reading from the articles, little confused that is it we need to do another backup/restore too?
If I install just cd and run the upgrade Instance wizard will be work or any other procedure I have to follow?
I think I just need to restart the service and server, correct?

2) I have another question is that if I download from the technet for testing then if I have to upgrade it using production licensed key, can we do and is it the same way?

option 1) I mean if I start to use TechNet for testing and then later upgrading license key to a production will work, right?

option 2) And I start to begin migration using sql 2008 standard and at a later date upgrade to Enterprise (it will be 8 core pocessors and 32 GB MEM) will work also?

Thanks,

djj55
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-06 : 10:48:50
CPU and Memory should have no bearing on the upgrade. I would strongly suggest doing this on a test system first.
You can never have too many backups when changing things.

djj
Go to Top of Page

chudman2
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-06 : 11:03:42
First thing: Why wouldn't you want to take a backup before making a major change to your configuration?

The upgrade is straightforward from Standard to Enterprise and all you need is the installation software.

From the Maintenance Tab, select Edition Upgrade
Click through all the usual temporary installation of set up files
Make sure you have your Enterprise PID license number available,
Select your instance to upgrade and click through to the end.

You should reboot the server afterwards, check you bootstrap logs to be sure the upgrade was complete. Last of all, run you index maintenance and stats updates.

Jeff Bennett
St. Louis
Go to Top of Page

poratips
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-06 : 11:18:58
Thanks Djj, I will be taking backup first, you are right as I will be doing 1st on test.

Thanks Jeff. I got it!
Go to Top of Page

Toothpick
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-14 : 10:15:32
Hi,

Can i do this upgrade to Enterprise edition with all the SQL Server processes stopped? Or do they need to be running?
We have lots of applications that are difficult to get shutdown and restarted. It would be easier if i could do this upgrade with sql stopped.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -