Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Other SQL Server Topics (2005)
 SQL 2005 express on different OSs

Author  Topic 

wpflum
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-07 : 19:01:20
Can anyone tell me if there if a difference between running an SQL express server on a windows 2000 pro sp4 system and on an Xp pro system? I know it's kinda strange but it's a licensing issue where the current "server" is an XP Pro pc running 2005 SQL express for a couple of networked programs that I need to move to a virtual platform but the license is oem and won't let me virtualize it. I do have a win2k license that I can use and have a test system installed with the SQL server and is working but I'm concerned that I might run into problems later on going from XP to W2k even though the server software is the same.

Thoughts??

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-08 : 08:09:14
No problems, SQL Express will work the same regardless of operating system. Other editions of SQL Server would be affected however.
Go to Top of Page

wpflum
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-08 : 09:43:41
Thanks, I kinda thought so but was worried that something might be subtly different, like number of connections allowed or the way a sort might work between different OS’s. We originally had to have the XP pro system mainly due to having to run the software associated with the databases on it also but I've discovered since then that we actually do not need to have the software on the sql server and that was just something the original installer did to make it easy for him to set up the database connections.

quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

No problems, SQL Express will work the same regardless of operating system. Other editions of SQL Server would be affected however.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -