Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 SQL SERVER CONNECTION PROBLEM

Author  Topic 

lawr01ence
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-15 : 12:30:23
I installed Microsoft SQL Server 2012 developer edition on my laptop first, then I used the same CD Software to install it on my desk top computer at home. It works fine on my desk top computer, but when I wanted to work with SQL ON MY laptop it does not connect to the server,instead I always get this error message:
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider.

What can I do? Thank you

LOM

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-15 : 12:53:53
I assume you are trying to connect to the server on the laptop. If that is the case, verify that the service is running. Start -> Run -> Services.msc and look for SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) is running.
Go to Top of Page

lawr01ence
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-18 : 17:48:34
Thank you for the advise, I did not see MSSQLSERVER running. Or could it be that I am having problems with firewalls issues from the laptop?

quote:
Originally posted by James K

I assume you are trying to connect to the server on the laptop. If that is the case, verify that the service is running. Start -> Run -> Services.msc and look for SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) is running.

Go to Top of Page

jethrow
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-18 : 18:45:18
Try going into SQL Server Configuration Manager. In SQL Server Services, make sure your SQL Server service is running. If it isn't, Start it. You should be able to do this directly from Services.msc as well.

Microsoft SQL Server Noobie
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -