Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 Reinstalling SQL Server

Author  Topic 

cidr
Posting Yak Master

207 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-19 : 06:17:51
I have a request to reinstall SQL server 2012 because something has become corrupt.

SharePoint databases are installed on the SQL server and just wondered is there is any special requirements before reinstalling SQL server and anything more than reattaching mdf files. i.e. maintaining logins, permissions etc.

Thanks

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-19 : 14:32:50
I would be very hesitant to solve a problem with 'corruption' by uninstalling/reinstalling SQL Server. I would find this corruption and figure out what the actual problem is and correct it - instead of taking this approach.
Go to Top of Page

cidr
Posting Yak Master

207 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-20 : 07:18:52
In all truth, it's not a corruption, we had a trial version of SQL Server and when connecting, a dialogue stated it had expired so we couldn't access anything. When we attempted to upgrade to developer edition, we were advised our installed SQL version wasn't viable for that upgrade path.

I was personally advised we attempted several things to upgrade to the developer but that none of them worked.

I agree with you, however, that reinstalling is a last step. If we have not choice... we have no choice
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-20 : 14:07:23
Okay - you do have a problem, but it is bigger than you are aware of. You cannot upgrade to the developer version - and run Sharepoint on that version - unless this is truly a development server and only licensed developers (each developer must have a license for the developer edition) are accessing the system.

If that is not the case, then you either need the standard edition or enterprise edition depending on your system requirements.

With that said - uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't require anything special. What you need to make sure you do is script out all logins (use sp_help_revlogin for this), script out all jobs, export any SSIS packages - and any other user objects in the system databases (tables, views, etc...).

Once everything is either scripted or exported, uninstall the current version - install the new version and attach the databases. Script in the logins, jobs, etc...

If you use a different instance name, then you will need to update the connection information - so I would recommend that you keep the same instance name when installing.
Go to Top of Page

cidr
Posting Yak Master

207 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-21 : 11:20:43
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw8713

Okay - you do have a problem, but it is bigger than you are aware of. You cannot upgrade to the developer version - and run Sharepoint on that version - unless this is truly a development server and only licensed developers (each developer must have a license for the developer edition) are accessing the system.

Thanks for the help. We have the developer licences which is fine. In terms of reinstalling... this is a path we went down yesterday. I said to the DBA the same thing as you... script everything but this wasn't possible due to the fact that we couldn't access SQL server from the expiration dialog. Luckily, the Authentication group model is fairly simple and easy to replicate.

We've had a host of problems including MS dynamics not working correctly and multiple SharePoint errors so we are starting afresh:)

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -