Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 Transaction Log file full errors

Author  Topic 

shadba
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-19 : 15:55:17
We see log of errors in the SQL server ERROR.LOG file for a database. We are ruinning transaction log files backup every 1 Hr and the transaction log file size set to 5 GB. The log backup file size was never more than 2 GB. What may be the reason for these errors even though there is around 3 GB free space?
Thanks

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-19 : 17:38:42
quote:
Originally posted by shadba

We see log of errors in the SQL server ERROR.LOG file for a database. We are ruinning transaction log files backup every 1 Hr and the transaction log file size set to 5 GB. The log backup file size was never more than 2 GB. What may be the reason for these errors even though there is around 3 GB free space?
Thanks

What are the errors that you are seeing? Can you post the exact text of a sampling of the messages?
Go to Top of Page

shadba
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-20 : 07:58:38
2013-08-18 08:10:58.11 spid107 The transaction log for database 'XXXXX' is full due to 'LOG_BACKUP'.
Go to Top of Page

jackv

2179 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-20 : 08:08:24
Is that the first error in the error chain?
Have you checked the memory space on the server?

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

shadba
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-20 : 08:57:29
Total memory on the server is 16 GB and SQL server instance is set to use only upto 12 GB. There are couple of other databases in the instance but the errors are coming up for this and one other database. Both those databases are heavy usage. That is not the first in the chain. I see those errors since 08/04.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-20 : 14:01:53
It looks like either the transaction log backups are failing - or you are not backing up that databases log file. The error message is showing you why the transaction log is full for that database and the reason is that the log for that database has not been backed up.
Go to Top of Page

jackv

2179 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-21 : 01:50:19
If you are doing a log backup - could you post any other tasks hapening just before or after a transaction log backup? for example , such as shrinking

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

yelouati
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-24 : 00:47:46
No knowing enough about your environment. Quickest action I would take is set the DB recovery to Simple then back to full, then take a new DB backup. Also, check if your log file is allowed to expand. This would clear up the log and allow to see if some transaction is trying to go past the 5GB limit and rolls back.
Go to Top of Page

shadba
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-26 : 07:51:32
We are not doing any activities like shrinking around the time when it happend. For now i increased the maximum log file size limit to 15 GB and the current size is around 10 GB. After that change, we do not see any errors like that. Let me see if that erro comes back when the log file reaches 15 GB. In this matter, how can we determine log file size the application requires? If running the transaction logs backup more frequently make any change? In my case the transaction log file backup size was never more than 2 GB.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -