Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Query timeout

Author  Topic 

imrul
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-22 : 04:59:22
One of my system is using SQL 2008 as db and vb6 as a front end. It is running more then 4 years without any problem. From last week we are getting an error "Query timeout expired". We have checked the network speed and speed is okay. If we restart the sql service problem solved. But come again. What might be cause and what can I do?

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-22 : 08:31:51
There is a default query timeout for queries coming from VB6 - it is 30 seconds if I am not mistaken. It could be that your queries were successfully completing under 30 seconds up until recently. Something must have triggered it to go over 30 seconds.

Are you doing regular maintainance on your database - i.e., statistics updates and index rebuilds/reorganizations? If you are not (or even if you are), check if you need stats update or index degragmenting.

Has there been more activity on the database recently compared to the past four years? If so that could have tipped the time required beyond the query timeout period.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -