Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 DTS

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-08-13 : 13:06:53
SQL Novice writes "I'm trying to find a good way to store SQL Server 7 data in sometype of physical storage preferably CD-ROM. The database itself is 3 Gb large. I would like to break this database into small chunks - by periods of time and big enough to fit in CDs.

My idea - I'd do that by exporting my SQL database to Microsoft Access in dated chunks and then store the ".mdb" file in CD. This way, each of these CDs could be accessed or queried upon from any computer that has Access in it. All I will need in future is to be able to access the data and generate reports. Is this idea good? Could you suggest a better option?

Also, I tried exporting it to Access 97 database using DTS but the export only succeeds in creating the exported tables but fails to export the data inside these tables. The error on some of them is "Timed out" or "Database is already open .. one user at a time". What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!"

setbasedisthetruepath
Used SQL Salesman

992 Posts

Posted - 2002-08-13 : 14:18:59
quote:

SQL Novice writes "I'm trying to find a good way to store SQL Server 7 data in sometype of physical storage preferably CD-ROM. The database itself is 3 Gb large. I would like to break this database into small chunks - by periods of time and big enough to fit in CDs.

The larger question is why? Placing a 3Gb database onto a series of 650 Mb CD's is not going to produce online storage, if that's what you're after. And I don't follow what advantages are present by converting the data to an Access database.

There are a number of avenues to approach this problem, from DTS to creative filegroup management to partitioned views. Give us a description of the business problem and we can help you out further.

Jonathan Boott, MCDBA
{0}
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -