Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Drop user from multiple databases

Author  Topic 

ITTrucker
Yak Posting Veteran

64 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-26 : 10:05:48
Is there a clean way to drop a user from multiple databases at once?

Our accounting software has 1 database for every company, and I'm trying out different settings to grant access to some reports without granting access to update the back end. (Apparently db_datareader is too restrictive for our reporting package) I have 14 databases that I need to open up and drop them from each time I try and test. I could just add every database and do a long script with every database but I was hoping there might be a cleaner way.
USE [DB1]
GO
IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM SYS.DATABASE_PRINCIPALS WHERE NAME = N'USERNAME')
DROP USER [USERNAME]
GO

USE [DB2]

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-26 : 12:40:23
quote:
Originally posted by ITTrucker

Is there a clean way to drop a user from multiple databases at once?

Our accounting software has 1 database for every company, and I'm trying out different settings to grant access to some reports without granting access to update the back end. (Apparently db_datareader is too restrictive for our reporting package) I have 14 databases that I need to open up and drop them from each time I try and test. I could just add every database and do a long script with every database but I was hoping there might be a cleaner way.
USE [DB1]
GO
IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM SYS.DATABASE_PRINCIPALS WHERE NAME = N'USERNAME')
DROP USER [USERNAME]
GO

USE [DB2]

None that I know of that will drop a user from muliple database. What you are doing - dropping from one database at a time - is the only way I know.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-27 : 18:37:24
There is sp_MSforeachDB but it's probably overkill. It will run your code in every database so you might need to add some logic to detect if this is an "accounting" database. Also, it only runs on one server so if your databases are on different servers, you'd need to run it on each server. Here is a link if you want to pursue this: http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3441031/SQL-Server-Undocumented-Stored-Procedures-spMSforeachtable-and-spMSforeachdb.htm

=================================================
The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea. -Isak Dinesen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -