Posted - 09/06/2013 : 14:26:53
| Hi all
I am a part-time Access/Excel developer who would like to start on SQL. I have identified SQL Server as the one to go for as:
- I already have it (partially) installed on my system (see below)
- I pretty much exclusively use MS products, so suspect SQL Server will place nicely!
So here's my question(s) - I already have SQL Server on my system, as I have it installed with Business Contact Manager for Outlook (2013). Here are the install details:
Version: is, I think, 10.3.5500.0)
SQL progs installed on my system:
SQL Server Config Manager
SQL Server Installation Centre
Error & Usage Reporting
Import & Export Data
No sign of SQL Server Management Studio (whihc is what I think I need on top of the baove installed components - but would appreciate more info on this?). So my question(s) really are:
- what else do I need to install to start setting up my own test SQL DBs? (is it just SQLMSS?)
- will anything I add in any way interfere with my current install that is part of BCM (I cannot risk mucking up that install at all)
- would a clean install of SQL Express 2012 (SP1?) on top of my 2008 install be a better idea?
FYI I have a Win8 PC with Office 2013.
All advice greatly received