Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Remove time from datetime

Author  Topic 

Steve2106
Posting Yak Master

183 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-09 : 05:08:51
Hi There,

In a query I am able to remove the time portion of a datetime field using:
cast(convert(char(11), LiveData.DateRaised, 113) as datetime) AS "Date Raised",

But when I export the results from the query the time portion is still there. Am I missing something.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Best Regards,

Steve

ScottPletcher
Aged Yak Warrior

550 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-09 : 09:26:44
If you want to change it to a date, you can do that directly (on SQL 2008 or higher):

CONVERT(date, LiveData.DateRaised)
Go to Top of Page

Cooper-5
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-09 : 09:29:49
Hi Steve,

Can i inquire as to what you are exporting too, and also why the requirement for casting back to a datetime type after the convert statement?

the convert will give you a text date with no time but the the datetime datatype should always return you a midnight time against any unset time portion of a datetime variable.

if you merely wanted a text format date output, then as part of your export script just replace the field with your SQL convert statement:
convert(char(11), LiveData.DateRaised, 103)
this would give you a date in a dd/mm/yyyy format

as soon as you cast it back to a datetime the time instance is set by default to midnight as far as im aware.

apologies if i misunderstood your question but hope this helps

Nothing is truly idiot proof, because the world keeps producing a higher class of idiot
Go to Top of Page

ScottPletcher
Aged Yak Warrior

550 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-09 : 09:33:24
If you're going to store a date as text, store it as 'YYYYMMDD', which will always be interpreted correctly by SQL (no matter what the date and/or language settings are), and can be sorted directly as well.
Go to Top of Page

Cooper-5
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-09 : 09:39:04
i agree with you there scott, ive used that approach a couple of times especially with regards to passing date time parameters back from the oldschool VBA applications to SQL procedures.

it saves so much time messing around with formatting based on locality, but there seems no need for it now with .net applications.

apologies for going slightly off topic on this one steve, hope the converts help you out.

Nothing is truly idiot proof, because the world keeps producing a higher class of idiot
Go to Top of Page

Steve2106
Posting Yak Master

183 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-09 : 10:09:54
Hi There,

Thanks for your replies.

I am exporting to Excel.
The convert I used I got from the internet and now you point it out, obviously if I convert back to a DateTime it will give me a Date with Time. Doh.

Best Regards,

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Cooper-5
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-09 : 10:13:21
yeah easy mistake to make though, ive done it on more than one occasion

if you want more flexibility on the outputted date formats have a look at the convert functions 3rd parameter on technet or msdn, there are a substantial number of formats you can output too with that function.

Go to Top of Page

VeeranjaneyuluAnnapureddy
Posting Yak Master

169 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-10 : 01:50:03
convert(char(11), LiveData.DateRaised, 113)AS "Date Raised"

veeranjaneyulu
Go to Top of Page

Steve2106
Posting Yak Master

183 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-10 : 04:03:48
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your help, I have got this working nicely now.

I appreciate your time.

Best Regards,

Steve
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -