Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Date to month

Author  Topic 

hbadministrator
Posting Yak Master

120 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 10:17:41
I have a 2 date fields 1 is start_date and the other is expire_date. I need to have a expire_date - start_date give me total months. Then I need to calculate the Annual_Value. Anything under 12 months should just show Price as Annual_value. Anything over 12 months should be (Price/Months)*12. Annual_Value and Months are new fields being created from the calculations.

Example is
Start_date Expire_date Months Price Annual_Value
1/31/2013 3/26/2013 2 450.00 450.00
1/31/2013 3/24/2016 34 6000.00 2117.65

djj55
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 10:39:03
Look at DATEDIFF(MONTH, Start_date, Expire_date)

djj
Go to Top of Page

hbadministrator
Posting Yak Master

120 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 13:00:13
works and also doesn't work I notice something I should have taken into consideration. example.

start date exp date Months
5/1/2013 4/30/2016 35(this actually should be 36 because its the whole month of April) How would I fix this.

SELECT

DATEDIFF(MONTH, dbo.sa.[rnu-date], dbo.sa.[exp-date]) AS Contract_Months
,dbo.sa.price
,CASE WHEN DATEDIFF(MONTH, [rnu-date], [exp-date]) > '12' THEN ((price / DATEDIFF(MONTH,[rnu-date], [exp-date])) * 12) ELSE price END AS Annual_Value

FROM dbo.sa LEFT OUTER JOIN
dbo.customer ON dbo.sa.[cust-no] = dbo.customer.[Cust-no]
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 13:21:41
1 + DATEDIFF(, , ) ???

Because DATEDIFF(DAY, ThisDay, ThisDay) equals 0.

Microsoft SQL Server MVP, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, MCITP, MCTS, MCDBA
Go to Top of Page

hbadministrator
Posting Yak Master

120 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 13:29:03
Ok so I was thinking about this a little more and decided that this might work with a Case when I just need help writing it.

Case when DATEDIFF(DAY, [rnu-date], [exp-date])< '15' THEN DATEDIFF(MONTH, dbo.sa.[rnu-date], dbo.sa.[exp-date]) ELSE (DATEDIFF(MONTH, dbo.sa.[rnu-date], dbo.sa.[exp-date]) + 1) End AS Contract_Months
Go to Top of Page

hbadministrator
Posting Yak Master

120 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 13:37:58
Ok my code worked but now I need to figure out how to fix the next piece by nesting case in the next line of code.

Case when DATEDIFF(DAY, [rnu-date], [exp-date])< '15' THEN DATEDIFF(MONTH, dbo.sa.[rnu-date], dbo.sa.[exp-date]) ELSE (DATEDIFF(MONTH, dbo.sa.[rnu-date], dbo.sa.[exp-date]) + 1) End AS Contract_Months

This Line needs to reflect the same example as the line above it

CASE WHEN DATEDIFF(MONTH, [rnu-date], [exp-date]) > '12' THEN ((price / DATEDIFF(MONTH,[rnu-date], [exp-date])) * 12) ELSE price END AS Annual_Value

Go to Top of Page

djj55

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 13:54:27
You may want to use a cte where you calculate the number of months (once) and can you that value in your case statements.

djj
Go to Top of Page

hbadministrator
Posting Yak Master

120 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 14:04:52
How would I write that.

SELECT dbo.sa.[cust-no], dbo.customer.name, dbo.sa.[sa-no], dbo.sa.[sslspn-code], dbo.salesper.[Slspn-name], CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), dbo.sa.[orig-date], 101)
AS Create_date, CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), dbo.sa.[rnu-date], 101) AS Start_date, CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), dbo.sa.[exp-date], 101) AS [exp-date], dbo.sa.Status,
dbo.sa.[div-code], CASE WHEN DATEDIFF(DAY, [rnu-date], [exp-date]) < '15' THEN DATEDIFF(MONTH, dbo.sa.[rnu-date], dbo.sa.[exp-date]) ELSE (DATEDIFF(MONTH,
dbo.sa.[rnu-date], dbo.sa.[exp-date]) + 1) END AS Contract_Months, dbo.sa.price, CASE WHEN DATEDIFF(MONTH, [rnu-date], [exp-date])
> '12' THEN ((price / DATEDIFF(MONTH, [rnu-date], [exp-date])) * 12) ELSE price END AS Annual_Value
dbo.salesper ON dbo.sa.[sslspn-code] = dbo.salesper.[Slspn-code] LEFT OUTER JOIN
WHERE (dbo.sa.[div-code] = '23')
Go to Top of Page

hbadministrator
Posting Yak Master

120 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 14:11:46
WITH sa_CTE
AS
(SELECT dbo.sa.[cust-no], dbo.customer.name, dbo.sa.[sa-no], dbo.sa.[sslspn-code], dbo.salesper.[Slspn-name], CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), dbo.sa.[orig-date], 101)
AS Create_date, CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), dbo.sa.[rnu-date], 101) AS Start_date, CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), dbo.sa.[exp-date], 101) AS [exp-date], dbo.sa.Status,
dbo.sa.[div-code], CASE WHEN DATEDIFF(DAY, [rnu-date], [exp-date]) < '15' THEN DATEDIFF(MONTH, dbo.sa.[rnu-date], dbo.sa.[exp-date]) ELSE (DATEDIFF(MONTH,
dbo.sa.[rnu-date], dbo.sa.[exp-date]) + 1) END AS Contract_Months, dbo.sa.price
dbo.salesper ON dbo.sa.[sslspn-code] = dbo.salesper.[Slspn-code] LEFT OUTER JOIN
WHERE (dbo.sa.[div-code] = '23'))

SELECT [cust-no], name, sa-no],[sslspn-code], Slspn-name], Create_date, Start_date, [exp-date], Status, [div-code], Contract_Months, price, CASE WHEN Contract_Months
> '12' THEN ((price / Contract_Months) * 12) ELSE price END AS Annual_Value
From sa_CTE
Go to Top of Page

hbadministrator
Posting Yak Master

120 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 14:11:56
like that?
Go to Top of Page

djj55

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 14:16:01
That should work.

djj
Go to Top of Page

hbadministrator
Posting Yak Master

120 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 14:18:23
nope lol
Go to Top of Page

hbadministrator
Posting Yak Master

120 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 14:22:47
Stupid mistake. figured it out. I forgot to add the Fields after the First With sa_CTE

WITH sa_CTE ([cust-no], name, [sa-no],[sslspn-code], [Slspn-name], Create_date, Start_date, [exp-date], Status, [div-code], Contract_Months, price)
AS
(SELECT dbo.sa.[cust-no], dbo.customer.name, dbo.sa.[sa-no], dbo.sa.[sslspn-code], dbo.salesper.[Slspn-name], CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), dbo.sa.[orig-date], 101)
dbo.sa.[rnu-date], dbo.sa.[exp-date]) + 1) END AS Contract_Months, dbo.sa.price
WHERE (dbo.sa.[div-code] = '23'))

SELECT [cust-no], name, [sa-no],[sslspn-code], [Slspn-name], Create_date, Start_date, [exp-date], Status, [div-code], Contract_Months, price, CASE WHEN Contract_Months
> '12' THEN ((price / Contract_Months) * 12) ELSE price END AS Annual_Value
From sa_CTE
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -