Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 SSMS 2012

Author  Topic 

SouthSideRob
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 11:24:10
I'm brand new and have just installed SSMS 2012 at work. Is there a way I can determine the maximum amount of connections that are available at the same time. Example, I write a .NET program that utilizes SQL server and 20 people might be using my app at the same time. I'm worried about delays if the pooling is we are not allowed to have 20 users connecting to SQL Server at the same time. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated...

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 12:54:51
quote:
Originally posted by SouthSideRob

I'm brand new and have just installed SSMS 2012 at work. Is there a way I can determine the maximum amount of connections that are available at the same time. Example, I write a .NET program that utilizes SQL server and 20 people might be using my app at the same time. I'm worried about delays if the pooling is we are not allowed to have 20 users connecting to SQL Server at the same time. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated...

You can use sys.sysprocesses or sp_who2 to see the connections.
SELECT * FROM sys.sysprocesses

exec sp_who2
I didn't follow what you said about pooling. Is each of the 20 people making their own connections to the database server or is it a middle tier application making the connections?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 12:57:03
SQL Server can support over 32,000 connections, but it'll depend on your licensing. Our connection pools allow hundreds/thousands of users. The most connections I've seen was like 5000 for a single application. It was a VLDB at 7TB in size and was ultra critical. We had the hardware to support it. Your mileage may vary.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

SouthSideRob
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-13 : 09:19:44
I'm a software developer so I had nothing to do with the purchase of SQL or the hardware install. If the client just purchased a few licenses, will that restrict the amount of desktop users who will be using applications that are put in production that will connect to SQL through the application in order to return query results, reports, etc... I'm worried if 20 users are all using applications that (at sometime) will make a request to SQL for data being returned. Or, is licenses only have to do with developers who actually build and maintain the database objects via SSMS ???
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-13 : 10:13:46
It depends when the licenses were purchased as the licensing scheme recently changed. If they were purchased under the old scheme and CALs were purchased, then only the amount of CALs are allowed to be connected for each device. Doesn't matter if it's from an application or a developer.

But I'm not really understanding your original question. I'm not understanding why there would be a delay due to number of users/pooling.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

SouthSideRob
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-13 : 10:58:24
Tara, my apologies. Actually, forget about the pooling question/comment. This was purchased about 2 weeks ago (not by me). The manager made the purchase and the company who sold the server also did the install. As a developer, I'm writing apps that their desktop users will be running that will connect to sql server for various reasons (Mostly read-only). Perhaps my client can have as many connections to sql as the server can handle. When it comes to licensing, I think they just purchased a couple of them just thinking of the people who will create and maintain the database objects using management studio. As an example, lets say the manager purchased 3 licenses, does that only mean that 3 people can be connected simultaneously to the sql server? What if 5 users are running an application that connects, queries, and disconnects from sql many times during their session on the application. Would that count as 1 of the licenses each time the app connects to the sql server??? That's what I'm concerned about...
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-13 : 12:07:50
If they purchased 2 CALS and 5 people need to connect (regardless if it's from SSMS or from client software), then the extra 3 will fail if when they installed SQL they specified 2 CALs. If they purchased using the CALs model, then they must buy a CAL for every person/device that will be accessing SQL Server in some way and this includes from your client software. We purchase licenses using the CPU model as the break-even point between the two models is like 100 CALs. We have thousands of customers, probably more like hundreds of thousands. They don't all connect at once, but we certainly have more than 100 connecting at a time.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

zhaodandan
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-18 : 04:11:45
unspammed
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -