Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Issue with sp_send_dbmail procedure

Author  Topic 

zimmonn
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-09-15 : 05:33:37
Hi All,

For the last several days I'm trying to resolve issue with sending emails by following procedure (I've ommited some parts):
DECLARE
[...]
@Product varchar(64),
@Subj varchar(255),
[...]
SELECT @Subj = 'New ' + @ListType + ' Release in ''' + @Product + ' ' + @Country + ''' ' + @StatusChange
[...]
EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail
@recipients = @EMail,
@copy_recipients = @CCMail,
@subject = @Subj

[...]

If in @Product variable is whitespace (from query from other table) i.e oranges (white) the email is not being sent with error message as follow:
"The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account Exception Message: Cannot send mails to mail server. (The specified string is not in the form required for a subject.).)". It seems that the message cannot be sent if there is a whitespace in the variable, but on the other hand if I change query:
SELECT @Subj = 'New ' + @ListType + ' Release in ''' + ' oranges (white) ' + ' ' + @Country + ''' ' + @StatusChange
No problem with sending email. Also if I assign the string directy to @subject there is no issue with sending emails too. If there is not white spaces in variable @Product everything is working fine...
I've already tried several different approaches to resolve that issue but still no success (and reviewed a tons of entries on different forums...):
1. On one of the forums I found to check SQLAgent entry regarding account for sending email - didn't resolve the issue
2. Restarting server/services - didn't help
3. Do a cast on @product variable Cast(@product as CHAR(25)) the same issue occures
4. Assign the @subj variable to different variable and the latter one use as the @subject - didn't help

SQL: 2008 std x86 (with all current updates)
Messaging server: Exchange 2010 (with all current sp's and updates)
Telnet: working fine...
No problem to send test email. No other issues from SQL end...

Thanks for Your help on that!

Best Regards,

Tomasz

djj55
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-16 : 10:22:20
Have you use PRINT @Subj to check what the "whitespace" value is without sending an email?

djj
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -