Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 backup database across one or more files.

Author  Topic 

richard102
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-07 : 06:13:31
Hi, I ran a successfull FULL backup over the weeked (set to Compress) . But it seems rather big on-disk. I suspect the old backup has NOT been removed. How can I check this out please?

Details
The 40TB db is backed up locally (I know) via maint plan, split into 4 files, on 4 drives. "If backup exists" is set to Append (I didn't want a backup that runs for two days to be set to "Overwrite", incase it crashed half-way and I was left with nothing).

Then (in the maint-plan) there are 4 distinct cleanup tasks, set to remove one-week-old backups from the 4 seperate files on named drives.

I wonder if the cleanup tasks can cleanup backups from with one accumulating file? (well, 4 files, on 4, disks, each 15TG on-disk btw)

Using the restore database gui from ssms I can only see one entry (one row) where I might have seen the old one (if it was there) perhaps?

I tracked down the actual text-log created by the maint-plan. And suspisiously I detailed a correct start/finish time (that I assign to the backup), followed by 4 other start/finish time-stamped of zero seconds.

any ideas?

Richard

thanks

richard102

richard102
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-07 : 07:33:43
Hi again

This is getting real confusing :). I ran "restore headeronly from disk = file1_of_4, disk = file2_of_4" etc etc
and got 4 rows returned.

The first column "backupName" is like this ...
~backup_2013_09_14~
~backup_2013_09_21~
~backup_2013_09_28~
~backup_2013_10_05~

thanks

richard102
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-07 : 12:41:32
This is the problem with appending backups into a single file. Never do this. Instead use custom code that doesn't delete the file until you have a successful backup as I don't think the maintenance plan logic can handle this.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

richard102
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-08 : 06:23:01
Thanks Tara,

My recovery plan is in two parts.

1) change the maint-plan (scheduled for next weekend) from append to overrite (As my 4x drives are 95% full, so I need to free-up some working space).

2) script backups (for the weekend after) to 4x files "(dbname)_1of4_(date).bak". And script deletion of 1 (or 2) week old backups on success.

... alternatively I guess I could just bite the bullet and delete (gulp) the 4 backup files next Friday evening. Ready for the scripted/tested/cab approved backup-job to run on Saturday at 00:30.

What do you think?

thanks

richard102
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -