Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2008 Topics
 Cannot Start SQL Browser

Author  Topic 

sean.barnard.94
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-10-08 : 06:18:13
When installing SQL 2008 R2 Express, I get an error near the end that says “the SQL Server Browser Service start request failed”. No matter what I do I cannot seem to get it to start.

I am installing on Windows 7 Professional SP1 machine.

There is SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition already installed. It was installed as part of Windows Live Essentials 2011, used by Photo Gallery.
AVG Internet Security 2013 is also installed, would either of these things have an effect on the installation or execution of an Express Instance?

Things I have tried:
• Starting the browser from SQL Server Configuration Manager after the install. This gives the error that it could not be started in a timely fashion.
• Starting the browser from services.msc. This gives the message that it “started then stopped because it’s not in use by an application”.
• Starting the browser from command prompt. It says could not be started but gives no error help message.
• Uninstalling all SQL (apart from the Compact Edition) and reinstalling get the same messages. Making sure we were running under Administrator Privilages.
• Installing SQL Server 2005 Express and 2012 Express.
• Changing the user that runs the browser and instance services from Local System, to Administrator. Get a WINS provider error (but I read that it should be Local System anyway).
• Opened the standard ports for SQL 1433 and 1434 in the firewall
• Changed the ports used to a non-standard one.
• Checked the port is not already in use by another service.
• Turned off Windows Firewall, AVG Firewall and AVG Internet Security Protection.

Sean Barnard

- Advertisement -