Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2008 Topics
 Using One Composite Foreign Key Value As Foreign K

Author  Topic 

azinyama
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-10 : 11:49:30

Good day all!!! I have the tables, as in image above, and I'm trying to create the relationships. I got stuck at creating a relationship between tables 'member_provider' and 'dependant_provider'.

As you can see, member_provider has a composite primary key that is made up of to foreign keys 'Member_RowID' and 'Provider_RowID'. I want to maintain this composite primary key and then create a relationship with dependant_provider using Member_Provider_RowID. I have tried adding Member_Provider_RowID to the composite key in member_provider but when I try to create the relationship I get the following error:

"The columns in table 'member_provider' do not match an existing primary key or UNIQUE constraint"

How would I go about maintaining the the uniqueness of the tables two columns.

I'm using MSSql Server 2008...

Thanx in advance.

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-10 : 12:36:34
You would have to create a unique index on the Member_Provider_RowID in the member_provider table. If you did not have that, then there could be more than one row in that table with the same value of Member_Provider_RowID. When that happens, SQL Server wouldn't know which of those rows the foreign key is referring to. Hence this restriction.
Go to Top of Page

azinyama
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-10 : 14:03:49

Thanx a lot for the speedy response James... That did the trick...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -