Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Copy data between 2 networks

Author  Topic 

Kimi86
Yak Posting Veteran

79 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-15 : 09:37:08
Hi Friends,
I have around 100 tables to copy from one server to another. The problem is that these 2 servers are not in the same network. Is there any way in which I can achieve this. May be copy data in a disc and and then copy it to the other servers.Please could you suggest few ways of doing this.

Thanks

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-15 : 10:46:21
If those 100 tables constitute most of the database, backing up the database, restoring it on the remote server and then copying would be an option.

If the 100 tables is only a small portion of the database, copy those tables to a new database on the local server, backup this new database and restore on the remote server.

You could export the data to flat files and then move them over to the remote server and import them, but I would prefer the other approaches.
Go to Top of Page

Kimi86
Yak Posting Veteran

79 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-16 : 01:58:43
quote:
Originally posted by James K

If those 100 tables constitute most of the database, backing up the database, restoring it on the remote server and then copying would be an option.

If the 100 tables is only a small portion of the database, copy those tables to a new database on the local server, backup this new database and restore on the remote server.

You could export the data to flat files and then move them over to the remote server and import them, but I would prefer the other approaches.

the 100 table make about 8 GB. This is what I am planning to do.

Step 1. Copy the 100 tables to a new database in the local server
Step 2 -I take full back up of this database (with only those 100 tables)
Step 3 - I somehow place the .bck and .trn files (I mean data and log files) generated from step 2 in the new network . I can do this through USB or any other mechanism
Step 4 - I restore these files in another database in the new network

Please suggest if this will work

Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-16 : 08:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by Kimi86

quote:
Originally posted by James K

the 100 table make about 8 GB. This is what I am planning to do.

Step 1. Copy the 100 tables to a new database in the local server
Step 2 -I take full back up of this database (with only those 100 tables)
Step 3 - I somehow place the .bck and .trn files (I mean data and log files) generated from step 2 in the new network . I can do this through USB or any other mechanism
Step 4 - I restore these files in another database in the new network

Please suggest if this will work

That should work. As the final step, you would want to copy the data from the restored database to your destination tables in the target database.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -