Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 How to move from junior/intermediate to i/s?

Author  Topic 

CanadianCoder
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-24 : 20:29:54
Hi all,

I've been working through a programming diploma the last few years and have a solid foundation in Normalization, SQL, SQL Server, MySQL, Procs, Triggers, etc. Basically I'd say I'm at least a competent junior programmer on the back-end.. able to build simple joins, update data, and research/read/understand documentation.

Right now, and at the start of the year I was in a co-op term where I got some industry level SQL experience, so I know what a legitimate database looks like, and I've seen some scary looking procs. And now I've found that I quite enjoy working in SQL land and I'd like to take my skills up a notch.

With that said, the only method I can think of to improve my SQL skills is to find a sizeable sample database to load into SQL server, hopefully with corresponding exercises, and then to code those exercises.

Does anyone know where/if such a thing exists? What other methods could I use to push my skill up a notch?

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-25 : 16:13:29
Practical experience is best. Try to get a job/internship as a SQL Server DBA. Sounds like you already know more than a lot of professional SQL DBAs out there.

-Chad
Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server 2008
Go to Top of Page

ushavellala
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-25 : 16:28:26
Practice in Adventure Works database(download sql server 2008 and you can install AdventureWorks in it). Join in the sql server forums and check for all the intermediate level problems that people post. When you are looking at/solving the problems, that is when you best learn

Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-25 : 16:52:39
One thing you could do - in addition to whatever else you come up with - is to spend a little bit of time every day going though sqlteam.com forum questions. Pick an interesting topic that you don't know the answer to and set it up on your own local server. The good questions come with DDL/DML for tables, sample data, and expected results. Study the solution, use Books Online to dig deeper into the commands/keywords/functions/techniques that are new to you. Usually, the solutions provided are industry best practices, which are hard to know without working within a community.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

CanadianCoder
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-26 : 11:32:36
Thanks for the tips. I used Adventure Works about a year ago in a course and was actually looking for that exact database over the past few days.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -