Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Slow in the application fast in ssms sql server

Author  Topic 

demons
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-30 : 05:20:16
Hi all
I have a problem with the store procedure.
When i execute on SSMS SQL Server, it take 30s to finish, but when execute by c# and get the result to client, it takes 10-20 minutes.

Please explain more and how to solve
Thanks

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-30 : 07:45:13
quote:
Originally posted by demons

Hi all
I have a problem with the store procedure.
When i execute on SSMS SQL Server, it take 30s to finish, but when execute by c# and get the result to client, it takes 10-20 minutes.

Please explain more and how to solve
Thanks

Use Trace or Profiler to examine the query coming into SQL Server, and see how much time it is taking.

If the query itself is taking more than when run from SSMS, see if the parameters are the same in both cases. If they are not, run both using the same parameters and compare. There should not be any significant difference.

If the query is not what is taking up the time, then it has to be the data flow or the client application's processing of the data. The amount of data being passed back and forth may be relevant.
Go to Top of Page

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-30 : 07:50:39
<in addition to what James has said>:

couple possibilities:
1. your application code is taking a long time to load a control or apply some logic/rules/sorting or something to the results as the stream in.

2. when called from the application sql is using a bad execution plan. You can end up with different cached plans because of small changes to the connection settings. Often something like ADO.net will apply some SET options that are different from your SSMS connection and that means a different plan must be devised. It is possible that one of those plans (in this case the one from the application) is a bad plan. You can try re-compiling the SP to see if that makes a difference. If it does then one klugy way to fix this is compile the SP with WITH RECOMPILE. Because this is a fairly long running SP anyway the couple seconds needed to create a plan will not hurt too much. The longer term solution is to re-work the SP so that choosing the right plan is not so ambiguous for sql server.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -