Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 How to move from LocalDB To Sever?

Author  Topic 

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-11 : 08:50:22
Good morning everybody.

Now that I'm finished with my asp.net web app I need to move the database which is LocalDB to SQL Server. The source database is in an app_data folder in an asp.net project. How do you guys move a database of that kind to an SQL Server? I'd be happy with scripting, graphical or any kind of solution. I'm hoping I won't have to resort to creating the db by hand.

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-11 : 09:06:21
Startup SQL Server Management Studio and connect to (localDB)\V11.0. If you don't see the database, right-click on Databases, select attach, find your database file and attach it. Then you can take a backup and restore that backup onto other servers.

I suppose you could take the database file directly and attach that to other servers as well, but for reasons that I don't recall, whenever I had to do this (which was not in the recent past), I backed it up and then ported to other servers.

If you are using MVC4/Entity Framework with migration scripts, you can point your connection string to the target server and run the migration scripts.
Go to Top of Page

viperbyte
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-11 : 14:06:51
Thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -