Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2008)
 Freezing column headers in a table report

Author  Topic 

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-14 : 10:48:48
I'm having trouble gettig the headers to freeze while scrolling for a table report. I verified that I checked the tablix property "Keep header visible while scrolling". Nevertheless, the header row scrolls off the view area.

What am I missing?

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-14 : 14:14:47
More on this:

If I start with a matrix object, add the columns I want, flag them as "Keep header visible while scrolling" and "Repeat header columns on each page". the header columns are "frozen" as expected. I can even delete the column group (in effect, turning it into a table), it still works.

If I start with a table object instead and set the same flags, the header columns disappear as I scroll down.
Go to Top of Page

LarryC74
Yak Posting Veteran

94 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-14 : 15:18:49
I think you have to go to the advanced options in the grouping section. little arrow in the upper corner above the column grouping section.

There it will show you all the "static" columns too.

I believe you have to to each one and check repeat in the property page. (not in front of SSRS at the moment but I've run into this before)

Everyday life brings me back to reality
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-14 : 16:28:45
quote:
Originally posted by LarryC74

I think you have to go to the advanced options in the grouping section. little arrow in the upper corner above the column grouping section.

There it will show you all the "static" columns too.

I believe you have to to each one and check repeat in the property page. (not in front of SSRS at the moment but I've run into this before)

Yes! That fixes the paging. However, it doesn't fix the scrolling in an interactive session. With a matrix, the headers stay in view even when scrolling. I need BOTH repeat headers on each page AND keep headers in view while scrolling.
Go to Top of Page

LarryC74
Yak Posting Veteran

94 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-14 : 17:13:02
When you are looking at the "static" columns...look at the very first one in the "row" grouping. I have my "fixdata" property set to true, but only for that column. See if that helps. When I checked all my other static columns they are set to false.

OH..you may have to uncheck the "table properties" "repeat header rows and columns on each page and uncheck the "keep header visible while scrolloing"

Hope that helps...
Larry

Go to Top of Page

LarryC74
Yak Posting Veteran

94 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-14 : 17:14:33
Heres a good article on it:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robertbruckner/archive/2008/10/13/repeat-header-and-visible-fixed-header-table.aspx

Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-15 : 09:20:58
quote:
Originally posted by LarryC74

Heres a good article on it:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robertbruckner/archive/2008/10/13/repeat-header-and-visible-fixed-header-table.aspx

that did it! i follwed these four steps:
1.in the grouping pane, click on the small triangle and select "Advanced Mode" to show static members:

2.verify that you have the properties grid turned on (in BI Development Studio use F4, in Report Builder go to the "View" tab and select "Properties")

3.select the corresponding (static) item in the row group hierarchy

4.in the properties grid:
- set KeepWithGroup to After
- set RepeatOnNewPage to true for repeating headers
- set FixedData to true for keeping headers visible

i didn't have to set the first static column to fixed. the above was enough.

What a pity that BIDS makes you think that setting the tablix properties is enough! In fact, that only really works for matrix-style reports.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -