Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2008)
 Interactive column sorting on a table

Author  Topic 

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-15 : 16:33:42
I have a report that uses a table but has no grouping. Just things like: Order, Date, Quantity, etc.

I establish an initial order using an ORDER BY clause in the query. However, I'd like to give the users the option to re-order their reports on the Date column. So, I did this:

1. Selected the Date textbox
2. Right-clicked and selected text box properties
3. in the Interative Sorting tab, enabled sorting of the detail rows based on the value of the Date.

In preview mode, I see the little sorting icon, but NOT in the header row. It's in the Date textbox itself, and in every row returned. This is not what I expected. Worse yet, the sort button effectively does nothing. The table is not reorded by date.

Then I redid the three steps above, but on the column headers. That worked! Not what I expected, but I'll take it!!

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-15 : 16:41:26
quote:
Originally posted by gbritton

I have a report that uses a table but has no grouping. Just things like: Order, Date, Quantity, etc.

I establish an initial order using an ORDER BY clause in the query. However, I'd like to give the users the option to re-order their reports on the Date column. So, I did this:

1. Selected the Date textbox
2. Right-clicked and selected text box properties
3. in the Interative Sorting tab, enabled sorting of the detail rows based on the value of the Date.

In preview mode, I see the little sorting icon, but NOT in the header row. It's in the Date textbox itself, and in every row returned. This is not what I expected. Worse yet, the sort button effectively does nothing. The table is not reorded by date.

Then I redid the three steps above, but on the column headers. That worked! Not what I expected, but I'll take it!!

What I suspect might have happened is that you added the interactive sort to the data cell, not to the header cell.

Remove the interactive sort from the data cell, and instead apply it on the header cell.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -