Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Server Virtualization Performance

Author  Topic 

denis_the_thief
Aged Yak Warrior

596 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-20 : 10:19:51
What is better for performance:

1) 1 SQL Server on one Server with 2 intensive processes running at the same time on 2 different Databases.

OR

2) 1 Server with 2 virtual servers, each having there own SQL Server, running the same 2 intensive processes (i.e. from #1) on the same 2 Databases (i.e. from #1) as the same time. But the 1 of these processes is running on one virtual server and the other process is running on the other virtual server.

I hope I explained that well. I think the answer is the performance would be roughly the same.

The reason I ask is because currently we have 2 separate servers, each with thier own SQL Server and about 20 Databases on each. Now, the Server Administrator wants to combine these onto 1 better server and onto the same SQL Server.

One concern of mine is that now we will have 40 + Databases on the same sql server and that could be a little unmanageable in SSMS, trying to select a Database out of 40. And everyone is used to going to one server for certain Databases and the other server for other databases.

The Server Administrator's rationale was that: a second virtual SQL server on the same hardware will really impact performance.

Hope to hear what your think.

- Advertisement -