Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 backup / Restore LSN sequence incorrecnt

Author  Topic 

Roccofox
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-26 : 06:46:28
Hi folks,

I don't know how but somehow my LSN has gone wrong on the backups. I'm not able to do a Point In Time restore due to the transactions logs FULL LSN not linking to the FULL backups LSN.

How can I get this all back in order?

Thanks in advance.

Tom.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

mdn143
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-26 : 07:24:46
Please provide the query you used to fetch LSN details and the output of that query
Go to Top of Page

Roccofox
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-09 : 05:51:43
quote:
Originally posted by mdn143

Please provide the query you used to fetch LSN details and the output of that query

I didn't use a query just looked at it in the GUI of SSMS.

how do i get the FULL LSN back in sequence?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-09 : 13:07:37
What type of maintenance jobs do you have in place? Do any truncate the transaction log or change the recovery model to SIMPLE (even if only temporarily)? Something is likely breaking the log chain, and you need to figure out what.

There isn't a way to fix the LSNs if the chain is broken. You need to figure out what is causing it, fix it and then start a new chain.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

Roccofox
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-17 : 04:55:34
Found the issue to be our data centre using other backup software to back up our database that i did not know about!

Got them to stop this and the LSN chain is OK again.

Thread can be closed

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-17 : 12:30:44
Glad you got it sorted out, and thanks for letting us know.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-18 : 13:31:15
We have a Stored Procedure to make a backup.

It saves the backup in a specific location, and gives it a consistent filename including DB Name, date & time. That stops anyone just making a "quick backup" to some weird location - including then moving the file to their C: drive "just in case" - all of which is useless when it comes trying to recover a system when there is a real life disaster

Having said that, you can query the Backup History Table in MSDB to get a list of the actual backups that have been made, and that would have listed the missing ones that you knew nothing about

Something to consider for "next time" perhaps
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -