Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 windows authentication vs mixed authentication

Author  Topic 

bala001_sqldba
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-02 : 05:16:08
Hi friends,

windows authentication

If you want to track what a particular user is doing, then using the windows authentication makes sense.

Using the windows tools to administer users is much more powerful than SQL, but the link between the two is tenuous, for instance if you remove a windows user then the related data within SQL isn't updated.

This is the default option during setup because it’s the most secure. Using this method allows you to control all of your database security through Windows and Active Directory.

Mixed mode

SQL Server Authentication is provided for backward compatibility because applications written for SQL Server version 7.0 or earlier may require the use of SQL Server logins and passwords.

Additionally, SQL Server Authentication is required when an instance of SQL Server is running on Windows 98 because Windows Authentication Mode is not supported on Windows 98. Therefore, SQL Server uses Mixed Mode when running on Windows 98 (but supports only SQL Server Authentication).

keenly waiting for the additional points from all of you..

thanks in advance

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-02 : 06:07:34
Not sure what you are trying to achieve.
Would go for trusted connections if possible as that allows the infrastructure team to administer windows groups and means their isn't a separate task to allow access to databases.
I would usually allow sql server access too as it can save trouble - allows easy imitation of a non sa user, allows me to save my sa user for things that need sa access so I don't accidentally do bad things. Also if you need to access across domains it can be handy.

Depends on the environment you are working in as to what is needed.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -