Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2012)
 is SSAS the right tool to replace SAS EG?

Author  Topic 

Hommer
Aged Yak Warrior

808 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-17 : 09:53:26
I am in the process of studying the feasibility of replacing one of our custom built SAS Data Warehouse with Microsoft BI/DW stack.
I have one specific question that I hope someone here who knows both SSAS and SAS Enterprise Guide can tell me. Feature by feature, in what extent can SSAS replace SAS Enterprise Guide?
To those who has less knowledge of SAS Enterprise Guide, it is a client app that let power users query against database tables/views and apply various statistical analysis to the data then output (print/email/save) the result (grid/chart/etc.).
To name a few of these statistical analysis,
Under Describe, there are Distribution Analysis; One-Way Frequencies; and Table Analysis;
Under ANOVA: t Test; One-way ANOVA; Nonparametric One-way ANOVA; linear Models; Mixed Models.
Under Regression: Linear; Nonlinear; Logistic and Generalized Linear.
Under Multivariate: Correlations; Canonical Correlation; Principal Components; Factor Analysis…

Thanks!

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-17 : 10:22:37
I can tell you now that SSAS will not be quite as fast as SAS for most things and will take a bit more to maintain and develop (but development I guess you are expecting), that comes from having worked with SAS about 5 years ago and working with SSAS on a regular basis.
Go to Top of Page

Hommer
Aged Yak Warrior

808 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-17 : 10:28:42
Thank you for your reply.

When you said "fast", did you mean the over all performance of the final environment, or the learning curve for power users and developers?

I guess you implied both (most things).
Go to Top of Page

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-17 : 10:34:11
Performance, but then depends on how it is developed I guess and what you are trying to do with it. SAS was very fast with regards to some things I saw it do.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -