Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 SQL Express 2012 Master DB

Author  Topic 

precious45
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-12-18 : 11:06:32
New to SQL Server. I installed SQLexpress 2012 on my PC. (I am teaching myself this application.) But for some reason, from the Object Explorer tree of SQL Mgmt Studio, I can see the Master db in the list but not the Tables folder. I can see the Views folder and everything else that I believe I should see, but no Tables folder. I am using Windows authentication and have all authority to the SQL instance. I've tried logging on with a different ID (sa id) using SQL authentication, adding other authorities to my connection profile, all kinds of stuff, all to no avail.

Yet for all of my sample Adventure Works DB's that I downloaded, I can see the Tables and Views folder and everything else that I should see.

I have checked all security that I could using my online class/session info (from Lynda.com) for reference. Nothing is making a difference. Would the reason be Express specific? Is this working as designed? Or is something just not authenticating correctly? Please help if you can. It is not critical that I see these tables...however inquiring minds want to know. AND IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-20 : 19:01:50
Can you SELECT from a non-visible table?

=================================================
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. -Niels Bohr
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-24 : 13:30:05
Check Tools | Options | Startup

Verify whether or not the option to hide system objects is checked.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -