Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Limits the selection with a Multi List box

Author  Topic 

wvuour
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-19 : 09:02:21
I want to allow a list box to populate with a Large amount of data but I want to LIMIT the number of items that the user can select within this multi-list box.

I know this can be done but I am not sure how?? Please HELP!!

Thanks for your time

wvuour

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-19 : 10:46:00
quote:
Originally posted by wvuour

I want to allow a list box to populate with a Large amount of data but I want to LIMIT the number of items that the user can select within this multi-list box.

Thanks for your time

wvuour

This really has nothing to do with SQL, so I think there would be very few people who may be able to answer your question here. Also, it depends largely on what platform you are using to create the user interface.

If you are using .Net - C#, VB etc., you would add a handler for the Change event of the list box. In the event handler, you would count the number of items selected, and if it is more than your limit, display a warning.
Go to Top of Page

wvuour
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-19 : 11:28:41
I am using SQL behind the Scene of the list box to pull in the data to populate the list box in an eLauncher by Evisions (Banner) software called ARGOS.

But I want to limit the number of selections . . . so I am pulling in 1000 different subjects/course in the list box . . . but I only want to allow say 15 or 20 of those to be selected.

eLauncher by Evisions (Banner) software ARGOS will not allow those other programming codes behind the Scene plus it is also picking about which SQL statements and functions I can use in ARGOS too.

This has been a great learning experience but hard to find people to help. This is way I am having trouble. I have posted this same question to the Evisions (Banner) software ARGOS forum too with little to no feedback.

Thanks anyways . . . still learning ARGOS. . .

quote:
Originally posted by James K

quote:
Originally posted by wvuour

Thanks for your time

wvuour

This really has nothing to do with SQL, so I think there would be very few people who may be able to answer your question here. Also, it depends largely on what platform you are using to create the user interface.

If you are using .Net - C#, VB etc., you would add a handler for the Change event of the list box. In the event handler, you would count the number of items selected, and if it is more than your limit, display a warning.

wvuour
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -