Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Permission to Create/Modify Stored Procedure

Author  Topic 

djj55
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-19 : 15:50:29
I am going to be out and would like to give the lead developer permission to create and modify stored procedures on the production server. In the past I just gave him sysadmin rites but would like a better way to grant premission for stored procedures only.

Note he has never given me cause to question what he has done with the sysadmin permission.

Thanks

djj

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-19 : 16:13:31
I certainly wouldn't allow this for a developer in production, but you could give out db_owner instead. I only give out that permission in non-prod. Devs get db_datareader ONLY in prod. DBAs take care of running scripts in prod.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

djj55

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-20 : 08:30:21
Thanks! That did the trick. Since I am the only DBA (also know as 'Jack of many trades'), I need a backup when I am gone. All our code is in-house and updates are many, so someone needs permission to push the updates while I am gone. It does not help that some of the clients change how they want or send data frequently.
I now have a script to give and a script to drop permissions for him.

djj
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-20 : 18:35:39
One additional idea to consider in having a separate account that the "backup DBA" could use when they needed to act in the DBA function. In their usual developer's login, they would have restricted rights. If they needed to act as the DBA, they could login on this separate account, handle the emergency de jour and log back in under their developer's account.

=================================================
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. -Niels Bohr
Go to Top of Page

djj55

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-26 : 07:02:22
Thanks Bustaz Kool, I will keep that in mind.

djj
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-27 : 04:49:31
Thanks to all. I was about to post the similar kind of issue. But i got through that.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
BTECH-IT 2013 Passed Out,
Trainee for SQL Server Administration,
Miracle Software systems, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -