Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Drow backs and mantenence of statistices

Author  Topic 

rajemessage
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-20 : 02:16:57
Dear All,

I used the data engine tuning ad visor to optimize my query on a very big table having 5 lack records and 400 cols.

It suggested me some good number of statistics (15) and few index(2). I would like to know what are the drawbacks of statistics and is there any consideration i should take into account.

Data will be read only , there are changes of some insertion and updation, which will be done in off pick time , data will be less in amount and will be done by single person.

There are chances that we will delete all records and transfer full data from OLTP, Which will

be done on week ends or quite rarely.

yours sincerely

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-20 : 14:10:15
Why are you running the tuning adviser? Are you trying to solve performance problems?

The problem with the tuning adviser is that it won't suggest a different model. Can you post the structure of this table? I'm wondering if some of those columns are things like attribute1, attribute2, etc. And Date1, Date2, etc...

The reason I ask is a 400 column table is a red flag for me that your design can be changed to really enhance performance as well as simplify the queries used to access the table.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

rajemessage
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-23 : 02:31:31
Data model i am checking , i will break it, normalize it up to the base line of data model and optimization.

What i wanted to know was specific to index ,statistic , etc recomendations made be tuning adviser is perfect or it is perfect to some percentage,
Specialy i need what objects it checks ,should i do some thing to thoes objecs which are used by tuning adviser for recomondation to increase the correctness of recommondation?

yours sincerley
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -