I have been a bit optimistic in an attempt to patch a version of SQL Server on a Windows 2008R2 machine and am now in trouble.
- The starting point was a default instance of SQL2005 SP1 Std. - I tried to install SQL2005 SP4 but it complained about something not being linked. - I then tried to do a direct in place upgrade to SQL2008R2 but had a similar error. - I then scripted out all users/jobs and made DB backups. - Using Control Panel, I then tried to remove SQL Server 2005 but the ARPWrapper.exe program was not there so it failed. - I then re-installed the SQL Support programs by running sqlsupport.msi from the SQL2005 install ISO. - I then managed to remove the SQL2005 instance.
Then my problems really began!
When I try to install a default instance of SQL2008R2 everything seems fine until I get to the Server Configuration/Service Account tab. I would expect this tab to allow me to enter the service accounts for the DB engine and the agent but the tab is just blank. I can continue through the screens but it just complains about the service account as soon as the install starts and returns an Error Code of 0x84B0000.
When I try to install a default instance of SQL2005 it gets as far as 'Setting Registry Security' waits a long time and eventually comes up with something like:
SQL SEerver Setup failed to modify sercurity permissions on registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib for user LocalAdmin. To proceed, verify that the account and domain running SQL Server Setup exist, That the account running SQL Server Setup has administrator privileges, and that the registry key exists on the destination drive.
I can play with a couple of Registry settings and the SQL2008R2 install will start but then comes up with a database status of failed.
I can install a named instance of SQL2008R2 but this will not do me much good. The system that uses the DBs would be a nightmare to re-configure to a different instance as it has some old and some new componets some of which are configured on client PCs.
I suspect the initial de-install of SQL2005 did not work correctly and there are spurious items which are stopping new installs from working. Ideally I would like to install a default instance of SQL2008R2 but would now settle for SQL2005.
Wow. I would not even attempt fixing this with all that was done. I would reimage at this point. This system is in too much of a mess. You'd need to open a support case with Microsoft to work through it.
We eventually got this to work by: 1. Scripting out a named instance that was still working. 2. Uninstalling and deleting everything we could see that said SQL Server. 3. Deleting the registry tree HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
We were than able to install the two instances and script users, restore DBs and script jobs.
It all seems to be working well but we will keep an eye on it. Due to other software on the server a re-image would probably take a few days to complete.