Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner

Author  Topic 

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-05 : 04:59:24
"The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner (XXX) of job YYY has server access."

I have had this message on every job that has run since midnight.

XXX is a mixture of

DOMAIN/Username - I have read that this might be an issue with lost connectivity to AD

XXX - My personal SQL Server login

"sysadm"

"sa"

In the case of jobs owned by "sa" I get:

"The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner (sa) of job EnableUsers has server access (reason: SQL Server blocked access to procedure 'dbo.sp_sqlagent_has_server_access' of component 'Agent XPs' because this component is turned off as part of the security configuration for this server. A system administrator can enable the use of 'Agent XPs' by using sp_configure. For more information about enabling 'Agent XPs', see "Surface Area Configuration" in SQL Server Books Online. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 15281))."

I'll grant that access now and see if that fixes SA jobs.

I'm investigating whether AD is an issue, but in the meantime anyone got any ideas why all jobs would be failing, including jobs with my personal XXX SQL login?

The jobs at 00:00:00 run, all those from 00:01:00 onwards have failed.

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-05 : 06:38:05
Cycled SQL Agent and the jobs are running again. But would like to know what might have caused it - so that I can prevent it happening again.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-05 : 17:04:54
If this is the same server as your previous thread, it sounds like the server is in bad shape. I'd get to the latest hotfix asap and then wait to see if more issues arise.

We make it a policy to have sa (our renamed account actually) the owner of all jobs to avoid the AD issue. Not sure why sa would fail on your system, but I suspect you've got a larger problem.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-05 : 17:18:15
Thanks Tara. Yup, same server. Not one that we set up, so I keep finding things that are not how I would want them. Backup speed seems very slow, for example. I'll get the hotfixes installed, in case its an issue that is already found & fixed, and then see how it looks after that.

Its odd though that the server has been running for several years and all of a sudden SQL Agent collapsed spot-on midnight last night. Maybe its done it before and no one has noticed, and they just pulled the plug and rejoiced that it seemed to fix itself!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -