Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2012)
 Combination of charecters inside a bracket wild ca

Author  Topic 

sarfrazabdu
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-21 : 16:10:36
Hi All,

I have a doubt ..
I have a string which is passed as parameter in a stored procedure....
the string is like this "sar[abc]zas"

i wanted to get all combination of this(with the letters inside the brackets]. there can be more tahn one brackets also insode a string amking the number of combination strings more..

sarazas
sarbzas
sarczas

Could you lease help me .. it is very important for me..

sarfraz

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-21 : 19:13:42
Your approach seems right but without seeing how you are using the parameter, it is difficult impossible to know where you are going wrong. (I am assumng that something went wrong)

=================================================
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. - John Barrymore
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-22 : 07:31:28
quote:
Originally posted by sarfrazabdu

Hi All,

I have a doubt ..
I have a string which is passed as parameter in a stored procedure....
the string is like this "sar[abc]zas"

i wanted to get all combination of this(with the letters inside the brackets]. there can be more tahn one brackets also insode a string amking the number of combination strings more..

sarazas
sarbzas
sarczas

Could you lease help me .. it is very important for me..

sarfraz

so far as you use parameter with like operator it should work fine

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs
Go to Top of Page

sarfrazabdu
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-22 : 11:38:28

It seems, i didot ake my question very clear. Hope this would make it more clearer.

I have a stored procedure (This SP is used to replace a n existing content with a new conetnt by searching for that content in a big text document ). The new conetnt and existing conetnt will be sent as parameters to the SP.
Consider the paramaters as
@oldContent varchar(100),
@newContent varchar(100),
@WholeContent varchar(500),
Inside the stored procedure , we have a replace function , which would be called
set @ WholeContent = REPLACE(@WholeContent, @oldContent, @newContent)
and it was working fine ,

Now there is a change in the business , the trick is that we are going to have multiple old values ( which will be sent as a single parameter)
The values that will be sent will be like below
For example ,
oldContent = ‘sa[abc]f[wes]’
newContent =’sam’
The new content will have only 1 value say ‘sam’
, but the old content can have different values , the old value sent in this example is sa[abc]f[wes]
Now we should be decompose the old content to saafw, sabfw,………..sacfs….(total 9)
Then we call the function replacefunction which replaces the oldconetnt( text created by all combination) with the new one.….
So,
set @ WholeContent = REPLACE(@WholeContent, @oldContent, @newContent)
this should be called multiple times.

Just was looking how to implement this decomposition of the old values to different values and calling the replace function in a very efficient way .
Is there any build in function which can decompose the same and give different combination?

sarfraz
Go to Top of Page

Lamprey
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4614 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-22 : 12:51:10
As far as I know you'd have to make your own custom function to do that sort of replace. It may (or may not) be easier to do with a CLR function. But, I don't know of a built in SQL function that will do that.

However, to help clarify, could you post some actual data and the expected results to help illustrate how the replace would work?
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-25 : 14:43:32
I have used RegEx on the SQL box to do this type of thing before, but hooking SQL up to external components like that leads to instability in my view, so I have only ever done it for a one-off task. Can't event remember how I did it now - OLE probably!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -