Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Accessing data in 40gb BAK with SQL Express

Author  Topic 

ryan.gillies
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 2014-02-26 : 06:21:12
Hi all

Due to restrictions I won't go into, we operate SQL Server 2008 Express in our company. We are due to receive a large backup (35-40gb) of a SQL Server 2005 database. We need to interrogate it in order to obtain some key data.

We all know the 4gb limitation that 2008 Express has in place, so I need to find a way of extracting the backup.

My thought was perhaps to install the Enterprise Trial version - 180 days would be more than enough time to get what we need. Can this be installed side-by-side next to SQL Server Express? Workstations are in short supply here too, so finding an alternative desktop to install on would be difficult.

Failing that can I perhaps do something similar to an openrowset on the MDF file, or is there a method of importing a BAK into MySQL or another opensource database package...?

Any thoughts anyone can offer would be most appreciated!

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2014-02-26 : 06:59:33
Yes you can install Enterprise Trial side-by-side, you may have to install it as a named instance though.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -