Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 data modeling -create an ER diagram

Author  Topic 

IleanaAlvare
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-04 : 22:56:04
Hi,

I have a case study requesting to create an ER diagram, with the attributes listed in each entity. The data I have is an Excel Spreadsheet listing:
CustomerName
PurchaseDate
Destination
Airline
Flight#
departDate
DapartTime
ArriveTime
Hotel
CheckIn
CheckOut
Car Rental
Pickup
Return
The case is related to travel agency that specializes in booking interesting vacations for people who are single. Note that the travellers have a variety of travel bookings: some may rent a car and drive to the hotel at their destination, others may be staying with friends or relatives at their destination, while others will need flights, hotel and car rentals in their booking.
I need help with the creation of the Tables and their attributes to Normalize the model to 3NF.

Thanks
Ileana

MIK_2008
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1054 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-05 : 07:22:38
might not be correct, but at first glance, I see following entities
1) Customer: it would contain all customer related information.
2) Aireline: details about the airlines, make, model, countries to which they belong etc.
3) FlightDetail: would include the Aireline and flight related information
4) FlightBooking: stores booking information e.g. customer and the flights thought which they are going to travel.
5) CarService: stores the information of passenger availing car service
6) ResidenceService: stores the information of passengers availing residence service.

since this is a an assignment, so would like you to figure out the rest of things (which columns to be placed where and if any other entities required) yourself

P.S. by the way I don't remember the 1NF, 2NF and 3NF anymore .. its been sometime I studied these concepts. :)

Cheers
MIK
Go to Top of Page

maunishq
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-05 : 11:19:45
A little help in your assignment:
To Normalize the model to 3NF, you need to keep in mind the concepts of Primary Key and Foreign Key. If your referencing of FK to PK is correct then your model will work perfect.

=======================
Not an Expert, Just a learner.
!_(M)_!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -