Please start any new threads on our new site at http://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

Our new SQL Server Forums are live! Come on over! We've restricted the ability to create new threads on these forums.

SQL Server Forums
Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 How to deal with a machine failure
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pjg61
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  18:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built a small system using SQL Server 2012 for a ski shop. Not many transactions per day. I use "SQL Backup and FTP" every nigt to backup the database onto a cloud folder. The system running SQL Server has mirrored disks. Recently, we have a computer failure which brought out two problems:

1) If I remove the disk from the dead machine, how can I copy/replace/insert (don't know) the data from the drive into a new system identically setup ? Can I plug the disk (say USB) into a new system and somehow copy the database to the new machine ?

IF NOT, THEN

2) Given that I back up every night, is there a way that I can log transactions to an alternate location (say a USB key) so that if my system dies, I simply boot up my backup server, restore the last night's data and then apply the transactions since that backup ?

Thank you

jackv
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

United Kingdom
2179 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2014 :  03:02:13  Show Profile  Visit jackv's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For option 2) - yes, you can take a nightly full backup and regular log backups . In the scenario , of restore you restore the full backup and apply the transaction log files.
You have two issues:
1) Identify the Recovery Point objective(RPO) - your backups should reflect this recovery point
2)Recovery time objective(RTO) - from the point of failure how quickly do you want to recover. The methods of backup , such as storage should support this RTO

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

pjg61
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2014 :  12:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jack,

OK. For (2), can you tell me or point me to info on how I can configure the transaction log files to an alternate drive ? Then, how do I re-apply the transactions to put my database to the same state ?

Thanks,

Pierre
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000