Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 How to deal with a machine failure

Author  Topic 

pjg61
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-07 : 18:21:20
I built a small system using SQL Server 2012 for a ski shop. Not many transactions per day. I use "SQL Backup and FTP" every nigt to backup the database onto a cloud folder. The system running SQL Server has mirrored disks. Recently, we have a computer failure which brought out two problems:

1) If I remove the disk from the dead machine, how can I copy/replace/insert (don't know) the data from the drive into a new system identically setup ? Can I plug the disk (say USB) into a new system and somehow copy the database to the new machine ?

IF NOT, THEN

2) Given that I back up every night, is there a way that I can log transactions to an alternate location (say a USB key) so that if my system dies, I simply boot up my backup server, restore the last night's data and then apply the transactions since that backup ?

Thank you

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-08 : 03:02:13
For option 2) - yes, you can take a nightly full backup and regular log backups . In the scenario , of restore you restore the full backup and apply the transaction log files.
You have two issues:
1) Identify the Recovery Point objective(RPO) - your backups should reflect this recovery point
2)Recovery time objective(RTO) - from the point of failure how quickly do you want to recover. The methods of backup , such as storage should support this RTO

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

pjg61
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-08 : 12:58:06
Jack,

OK. For (2), can you tell me or point me to info on how I can configure the transaction log files to an alternate drive ? Then, how do I re-apply the transactions to put my database to the same state ?

Thanks,

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -