Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Update SQL table using Excel

Author  Topic 

mzadok
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-12 : 07:07:34
Hi,
I use Excel to extract data from SQL using Excel VBA with SQL queries embedded into my VBA code. Recently, IT department raised a security issue. They say that in the same way you query the data from Excel, you could in theory incorporate SQL update query and update the database, thus bypassing the native application being the ERP system. My question is - is it possible to prevent update of SQL tables using Excel or MS Access forthat matter. In other words, is there an application based security settings in SQL that can determine which applications can update SQL tables. The SQL database is the back end of the ERP system. It must be noted that users have read/write access to the SQL tables as ERP users so we can't restrict tables update via user profile, it needs to be application based restriction I believe.

Thank you for you response.

Matti

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-12 : 10:30:44
There is no application based security in SQL Server as far as I know. So if your end users have logins that have access to a database table, they will be able to access that table using Excel as well.
Go to Top of Page

mzadok
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-12 : 10:49:44
Thank you James for taking the time to answer my question
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -