SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Replication (2005)
 Replication to 2008R2 & Mgmt Studio 2008R2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bugbite
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  06:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We have a situation where we need to replicate from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2 which should not be a problem. To do this we apparently have to set it up with Management Studio 2008 R2. On the server we already have replication running from/to SQL 2005 machines but my management is worried that installing Management 2008 R2 on that server will affect the current replication. Can anyone confirm that this will be ok?

I expect it will be OK as the Management Studio tools should not affect the database components but I just need to check to satisfy management.

Thanks for any replies.

Regards,

gbritton
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

1182 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  08:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SSMS is just an IDE. Installing it won't affect your data. Also, it is smart enough to recognize the level of the db it is working with. e.g. SSMS 2012 can work with SQL Server 2005 databases just fine.

OTOH Why would you install SSMS on the server at all? Typically a server shouldn't be running an IDE or used for development or other interactive purposes. It's better to only run SSMS from a workstation connected to the server.

Servers for serving! Workstations for managing! Separation of Concerns!
Go to Top of Page

bugbite
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  10:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. Just as I expected.

Why is this installed on the server? Two reasons: 1) The person who set it up put it there. 2) The particular replication that this is relating to the server can only be connected to from this machine. It is an outside host and for some reason my machine cannot connect. This is something I am working on, as well as a host of other mess the previous people left behind.

I understand fully what you mean. Most of the administration is done from a different machine but this replication, until I can sort out the access, is a bit of a problem. It is temporary.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000