Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 normalization

Author  Topic 

richard102
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-23 : 18:23:13
Hi all, a developer wants me to separate out some columns into two new tables -say- widgets_in and widgets_out as part of a redesign. I notice the two new tables have identical columns, and feel it would be better to have just one new table -say- widgets_inout including a flag column to denote out-going-widgets.

thanks

richard102

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-23 : 18:56:25
What is the developer's reasoning?

I would want one table with the flag column like you mentioned.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

richard102
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-24 : 02:09:56
Hiah Tara, I'm new at this software co (they don't have real-data, which makes me want to cry), but in the meeting they said something about allowing many-to-many relationships between moving widgets. My on-the-spot proposal to just add a groupid column to the current table was quickly shot-down (to avoid nulls when say 4 inputs are to be linked with 3 outputs, or something like that). Then later looking at the table, the columns 'objectidfrom', 'objectidto', 'lifetimefrom', 'lifetimeto' look like great candidates for separation fair-enough.

thanks

richard102
Go to Top of Page

denis_the_thief
Aged Yak Warrior

596 Posts

Posted - 2014-05-05 : 10:10:21
You're problem may be more of a political one than a technical one. Once I resorted to saying to a Developer "because it's against my Religion" as a reason for sticking to normalization when I was having difficulty convincing him. I think it seemed to work, so you could try that.

From you first post, I would agree with you and Tara. Although I don't think it violates Normalization, but sounds like it plain violates good Database/system design. But in your second post, the situation is a little unclear, at least to me.

You have to recognize, though, that you just started. Although you may have more Database knowledge you probably have less knowledge of the system as a whole compared to that Developer. Many companies are reluctant to change their ways just from what a new person says, even though that new person may be correct.

There may be some merit to what that developer is suggesting but at least you could try pointing out the benefits of going with one table.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -